Monday, October 26, 2009

All Carrots Great and Small


I decided it was time to harvest my carrots and beets before the bugs ate them completely. 
Here are the fruits of my labor!



3 butternut squash (plus 2 we already ate), all of the carrots and most of the beets.












Don't you just love all of the colors!













The largest carrots.




The smallest carrot.



The most artistic carrot.



The most socially acceptable carrots.


 
The tallest carrot top.  The red line is how tall I am.




The one and only cabbage head, full of worms - yum!My cabbages didn't do well. 
This is the best out of a dozen plants.  Any tips?




The largest broccoli head.  (It's that tiny thing in the middle).
If anyone knows why my broccoli didn't head, please let me know.




Our biggest pumpkin - that's my boot.
Too bad it won't be orange in time for Halloween :(


And from earlier this summer:

 
I forgot to pick cucumbers for a few days when it was really hot and ended up with some really big ones! (That is a wide mouth quart jar!)




This was my entire broccoli harvest a couple of weeks ago.  Maybe they will keep producing - pretty pathetic, I know.


I'm very sad I didn't take any pictures of my tomatoes and beans.  It was a great crop!
I plan to double the size of my garden next summer. 






5 comments:

  1. Wow, Erin! I see all that green, green grass under your amazing veggies! We just don't see that down here in the desert! My best carrots were about 3 inches long!
    Can't help you with the broccoli, last time I tried it here in AZ, they all grew really nicely. Maybe they are sun-lovers?
    *Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great harvest! My cucumbers really did nothing this year so i'm concentrating on those next year. And a lot of my carrots are still in the garden, i'm slowly remembering to use them in recipes. The garden is still very green with all my parsnips too. Those stay in until it gets really cold and then I will dig them as i need them i guess. Last year i dug them in December because we were moving to the new house but this year i guess i will just wait and see how long they last under the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena and Rory really like the twisty carrot...and the wide-variety of colours too!...and they want to say they really like the big "thing" that won't fit in the jar ;)
    ["Elena, it's called cucumber!" -Rory]
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Monster spelled it "colours"! Yeah, great colours without Red #40!
    I've never had luck with broccoli. Maybe if we move to WA we'll get to have a garden too! we did in Spokane, and it did pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I am so proud of you and your gardener helpers. I bet those beets taste so good. mmm. I am hungry just looking at your beautiful post! Take down any notes of how to make your garden better and I will make copies for next summer :)

    ReplyDelete